Happy Friday families! Oh my goodness. It seemed as though the students had a blast yesterday! Hilarious tidbit: I was keeping most activities a surprise. As I explained each activity as it was time for it. Students were saying "This is the best day ever!" When they got nice and excited (for each activity!) they started singing "Happy Birthday" to me... :D It was like their appreciation for the excitement of the activity could only be understood through singing "Happy Birthday." It was adorable.
Thank you for all of your help in getting the students ready for 100th day. Thank you to all the parents who helped, came to visit, have a talent I know of and got roped into helping. If you pop over to the blog page I have some more pictures. I also had a parent come to take pictures. I will add those to the blog page when I get them and email you when they are up.
Riggs: This week we had a slow get back into the routine of things with Riggs. Monday and Wednesday we didn't have Riggs because of MAPS testing and Thursday we didn't have (traditional) Riggs because we had our 100th day. Tuesday we learned the words my and up. On Thursday at the end of the day we had a balloon party (100 balloons) with all of the Riggs phonograms and the spelling words we've learned to date on them. We read them as we played.
Saxon Math: This week we have learned how to count by 10's from a single digit number, add 10 to a number and comparing and ordering numbers to 100.
Core Knowledge: This week we've learned about how to take care of our bodies through eating healthy, rest, exercise and cleanliness. For eating healthy we talked about foods that are good for us and foods that are not good for us. For resting our bodies we tried out some yoga, for exercise we did some guided dancing and for cleanliness we talked about germs and the importance of hand washing. I added glitter to a bottle of hand sanitizer, gave them all a squirt and had them rub it in. The glitter represented "germs". They were horrified. I had them use normal, non glittery sanitizer to try to get the germs off and we found out that it only got some of the germs off. Then the students shook each others hands and touched things around the room only to find that some of the "germs" got stuck to the thing they touched. We also talked about how if our hands are dirty and we touch the food we eat the germs get on our food. We learned that washing our hands with soap is the best way to get germs off.
Dates to remember:
- Monday, April 10th we have an early morning, 8:05 am, Metro assembly with 1, 2, and 3 about the 3 R's. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Meet in the gym, do not head to the classroom.
- Tuesday, April 11th (afternoon) we will have Metro hands on lesson on composting.
- Thursday, April 13th is the Spring Concert at 6:30 *Note the time! I mistakenly wrote 6:00, before. Sorry!
- Friday, April 21st Clackamas County Recycling Partnership is coming out to us to talk about how to help take care of the Earth. We are also taking a tour of the ReBuilding Center.
- Friday, May 19th field trip to Portland State Learning Gardens and 7 Dees.