This will be sent home in hard copy on Tuesday. Kindergarteners will have been shown an example of what the project could look at, as well as what their presentation might look like. Here is a link to the soft copy of the assignment sheet.
I spent about 40 minutes in two sessions making the invented animal after I gathered the materials. I also spend about 15 minutes learning about the animals that make up my new animal, thinking about what it will eat, where it will live, etc.
My presentation might be along these lines:
This is a Super Armadillafly. It has the wings and proboscis of a butterfly. It flies around and eats nectar from flowers. It has protective armor like armadillo and lives in dry places. It has eight legs like a spider. I made it out of a tea box and cardboard and lots of tape. I used pen caps to make the legs.
Keep it fun, keep it brief, and be creative! The goal of this is for kindergarteners to think about habitats, food sources, and behaviors of different animals.
Here is a website with animals sorted into habitats to get some ideas.