Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hooray for Baby Sea Turtles!

A sign protecting one of OUR five nests in Florida.

Way way way back in December, second graders voted to raise money with their Penny Drive to save sea turtles.  We sang, we researched, and we sang some more, counted a TON of pennies and change, and we were able to adopt FIVE nests in Florida.  THEY HATCHED.  I received five packets of five different nests clearly adopted by CHPCS Second Grade (now third grade!).

Second graders are capable of so much.  Children are able to effect change in their own worlds, and in places they have never seen before.  I am proud to be the teacher of such hard-working, caring children.

If you find yourself in Florida in the near future, I also received a handful of tickets to _____________ (National Save the Sea Turtle Foundation Museum? Display?  Rehabilitation Center?  I will update this when I look at the tickets more closely).  Swing by and I will give them to you!
 One of our five adoption certificates.  We adopted loggerhead turtles on Pompano Beach, Florida (just north of Miami).
Hatchlings on their way to the Atlantic Ocean.
One of the five letters we received about our nests.